The Old Courthouse


The conversion of part of the former courthouse on North End Road into three new flats. The Courthouse itself was built by H. N. Hanks in 1907-8 in an English Baroque Style. The building ceased use as a Court in 2005 when this function was relocated to more modern premises. The scheme creates a pair of new duplex units in the space of one of the former courtrooms; new internal stairs give access to a lowered basement floor with access to private gardens for each of the flats. The kitchen living room of the third unit occupies the original entrance hall - a dramatic 15m long x 3m top-lit space with its decorative terrazzo floor.