This project is a conversion and extension of an existing laundry in the area of Acton known as ‘Soapsuds Island’ to create a mixed development of an office, seven flats and two houses. The original buildings comprised a house (no.69) and part of the former Jeddo Works building (no. 67), each dating from the 1870’s. Both had been extended in the 20th century: a shed-like extension to the rear of the house to provide working space for the laundry and an additional floor to the two-storey Victorian works building.
We removed the 20th century additions and carefully refurbished the 19th century elements. The double-height rusticated arches of the front facade of no. 67 were retained and carefully stripped of paintwork to expose their deep red coloured bricks. These contain the offices. A new three-storey concrete-framed extension was built over the arches, faced in matching brickwork and patinated zinc. South-facing winter gardens provide amenity space to the flats within this façade.
A timber-lined passageway leads through no. 69 to a newly formed courtyard behind the retained and refurbished 19th century house. This courtyard gives access to two new four-storey mews houses constructed in the space between the walls of the former laundry.